Tuesday, July 26, 2011

So It's Been A While...

I have totally slacked off on updating this blog.  The disappointment from CDA has helped to motivate me to build towards Kona.  Actually I think it's helped a little too much considering I looked at my training log and I haven't had a single day off in July...whoops!  I'm not going to lie, my legs are hurting.  I'm hitting numbers on the bike, actually today I had a solid set where I was even able to push 500+ watts for 30 second intervals.  This past Saturday I ended up riding 102 miles at the same pace that I rode in Idaho...what gives? 

I think part of it is the fact that I was challenged to ride 1000 miles in the month of July.  Well here we sit on July 26th and I'm at 940 miles.  So unless something catastrophic happens I'm going to hit that number, which will be my largest month on a bike ever.  I think my legs are hurting because I'm trying to mix in a little too much quality work in with the sheer volume.  It's hard to hold back when your legs feel good.  My running hasn't really come back fully yet, and that's mainly my fault.  As I haven't really been running much I'm at 64 miles for the month, which is way down, but not too shabby considering I took two weeks off of running in July. 

I'll let things ramp back up in August and September with my run.  Now it's about laying down some base miles, and not worrying about the pace (much easier said than done!!).  With 73 days until Kona I feel confident that I can ramp it up once again to have a good result for me!  The crazy thing is that I still have time to train for Kona and my training numbers are already at the level they were last year when I raced Ironman Arizona.  That was in November...so I've done last years 11 months of training in less than 8...whoops once again!  What else are you supposed to do when you get bored though right?  I have bikes here that just ask me to ride them, and amazing Zoot shoes that just want to go run.

I'm going to try to take tomorrow easier and only swim in the morning.  I'm headed up to Madison to get some training in this weekend with some of the Endure It crew.  Should be a good time for sure, and I'll keep things in check for sure.  Although the volume will be up the intensity won't be.  I'm already looking forward to next season!  I have some ideas of races that I want to do, but first things first...KONA!

No comments: