Monday, August 29, 2011

Busy...Catching Up, A Brief Pigman Report

I've been crazy busy lately.  Well maybe not, but I haven't really felt like sitting down at a computer, and when I have sat down at a computer I haven't felt like typing.  Not that there is nothing to report...but I just haven't felt like it.

So I suppose it's time to get back on the blogging train here.  A lot has happened since my last post.  July was a huge month of riding for me...1251 miles to be exact.  For some people that may not be all that much, but it averages out to be 40.35 miles of riding a day.  August isn't quite that high, but I have been able to put in some solid work.  I feel as if my bike fitness is where it needs to be and as if I can hold back on the bike, while still putting up a fast split.  So the key here is to maintain that fitness.  To build upon it now would be rather difficult considering I need to build some swim and run fitness.

I've felt better in the water and set a PR in my swim at the Pigman Half Ironman last week.  I've been getting into the water pretty frequently, and although I haven't been able to put up huge yardage while there, I think the frequency is working well for me. 

Last week at Pigman I also set a bike PR, averaging 25 miles per hour for a half ironman has been something I have been working towards.  My run wasn't anything special...yea yea yea I know you can't say you killed the bike and tanked the run.  I didn't tank the run completely...I just didn't have a great run.  I knew that things weren't going well early on, and stayed the course hoping they would come around...well they never did but that's alright you live and you learn right?  I really never felt like I was pushing on the bike, and felt comfortable the whole time.  Not sure where my run went but I would love to have it back any time now.

Speaking of getting my run back, I think (like in swimming) I need to up the frequency and not worry so much about the mileage.  I read something that Troy Jacobson posted about running your PR Ironman Marathon and it makes a lot of sense.  Long runs tear me down for a few days...so why not do more shorter runs which I can recover from faster?  My problem is I push the pace on my long runs...why?  Because I can that's why.  I know it's not right but in the moment I can't slow down...it hurts to slow down more than it hurts to push...so I push.  I ran with a friend last week who has just gotten back from Boulder where he ran some "easy" runs with some triathlon super stars...their "easy" run is far easier than I would have ever imagined...so when we did it I enjoyed it.  I didn't care about the pace, and felt like I had accomplished something at the end.  Crazy isn't it?

Pigman Half Ironman - 4:24 - 11th overall - 1st Age Group

Swim - Great
Bike - Great (2nd fastest split overall...only David Thompson beat me)
Run - Eh...just Eh...

Thanks Zoot, GU, Ridley, Zipp, Garmin, Endure It for all of the support...couldn't do it without you.  And especially to my Mom and Dad who watched my dogs!! 

So for the next 40 days easy means easier than I have ever gone...and hard means harder than I have ever gone...this is going to be awesome!

Make it hurt!

No comments: