Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August is Over...Crunch Time...Smart Training...And a Swim Challenge

It's crazy that today is the last day in August! Where did the month go?  As I look back on my training log, I'm happy with the work I've put in.  I didn't ride as much as July, but then again I was in Boston for a week, and still managed some good riding, with some solid long rides as well.  My running is coming back, and I'm confident within a month that I'll be where I need to be.  My swimming has been consistent, I just need to up the volume...and that's where my swim challenge comes into play.  More on that later.

With a month of hard training to go it's time to start trying to get used to the heat, which is kind of difficult considering the temps are cooling off around here (I guess it is supposed to be hot the next two days though).  So when you see some weirdo running in a hooded sweatshirt and long pants...that might be me.  The key is to stay injury free, and smart with my training.  I'm going to make sure to continue with aerobic type of work with some race pace stuff thrown in there...but unlike in the past when all I would focus on was race pace efforts I'm going to try to make easy truly easy.  Last night I tried to go easy on a run.  I had my Garmin with me, but really didn't pay attention to it and went out to enjoy the run.  Crazy how I really did enjoy it and the pace was still relatively fast.  Well I should say faster than I plan on running in Kona, but I was not pushing at all.  The cool temps, little bit of rain, and Zoot Ultra Kalani's might have played a part of that.

In September I'm going to take on a swimming challenge to make one final push.  Do I think my swimming is going to improve dramatically?  Nope...but if I can be a little less tired when I get out of the water the whole day is going to be better.  So the swimming challenge is going to be to swim 60,000 yards in the month of September.  All that comes out to is 2,000 yards a day...not all that much.  It will be a big month for me, and the beautiful thing about that much swimming is that it doesn't take a huge toll on the body.  Can't wait for this, and Chad is taking this challenge on with me...it's always nice to have someone else suffering with me.

Train Hard, Train Smart, No Regrets

No comments: