Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ironman St. George Recap

I wasn't sure how racing an Ironman early in the season would turn out.  Living in Chicago it's tough to train outside through the winter and early spring...but I said screw it and thought I would roll the dice.  Training was tough, and there were quite a few long rides done on the trainer which weren't the most enjoyable, but work works right?  I wasn't sure whether or not I was really prepared for the race, although when do you ever really think you are prepared right? 

One word to sum up the race...OUCH!  This was by far the hardest Ironman I've done so far.  I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty details so I'll break it down quickly here:

Swim - First 15 minutes awesome...next hour awful.  A crazy wind blew in and literally blew the race apart.  I made it to land, so that's all that matters.  The time was not good, so I'm chalking that up to the conditions.

Bike - Thank goodness I raced with Power.  Once again wind blew the race apart.  I've never been so frustrated, scared, annoyed all at once.  Bottom line, I rode 112 miles, not sure what I would have for the run though.

Run - Mile 1 sucked (though it was my fastest mile).  I felt awful, looked awful and seriously started to wonder how long the day was going to last.  From then things settled in, and turned around in a positive fashion.  Thanks to my crew out there I knew where I needed to run, and who I needed to run down.  The run was the highlight of the race for me...I ended up running faster than I have before at an Ironman.

I have to say it was a productive day overall, 3rd in the age group (which is a new age group for me M30-34), 19th overall...which is my highest overall placing at an Ironman to date.  And to top it all off...ALOHA!

Luckily for me I have the best support team out there!  They believed in me and as always they came through in a huge way for me.  I'll let Katie determine "Fan Status" of our two rookies, but in the mean time I have some thank you's...in no particular order.

Mom - You haven't missed an Ironman yet, and you're just awesome.  I can't thank you enough for all of your support for this crazy hobby of mine.  I know you worry when I'm in the water and on the bike...but if I can make it out of that swim and off of that bike I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be too much else to worry about! Thanks for always being there!

Brittany - I'm not sure you knew 100% what you were getting yourself into...I know I'm not the most sane, and I think you're probably realizing that more and more now.  The support and interest you've taken in this sport all for me is something I never thought possible.  Not only that, you help to keep me in one piece so that I'm healthy when I race.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Katie - So you've only missed one race, and the most important part is that  you've been there when it matters most.  I'm not sure what I would have done without the time splits on that run, thank you for those!  And just think we get to go back to Hawaii!!

Uncle Jim - 16 hours driving...that's hardcore!!  Thanks for all of the continued support Uncle Jim, it is awesome to have you out at races, and I know we all enjoy the time we get to spend together.  Next summer I'll have to get out to Idaho to hang out...who knows maybe I'll even have to do a mini training camp.

Eddie - Well done rookie...well minus the bathroom incident I suppose (though I have no idea what that was all about).  It was awesome having you with us this weekend and to see you out on the course.  You had your own little posse that would help you cheer as I went by on the run, that was great!  And now it's good that you know not to say "You're almost done"...haha.

I also have the best sponsors around!  I could not have done this without the support of Zoot, GU, Zipp, Spy Optics, Garmin, PR Bar, Fuel Belt, CycleOps and the SOGO Sports Agency.  Thanks!!!

No comments: