Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Dull Pain

My legs hurt.  It's not the type of pain where you can't do anything, but as I sit here I can definitely feel them throbbing.  It's not from running too much, but I have been riding a fair amount and have had three weeks in a row with a huge "threshold" type of effort where I sustained 300+ watts for 30 minutes.  I'm guessing that's taking it's toll.  The good news though is that I've been feeling better running.  And I've been able to get my "long" run in for the past 3 weeks in a row.  Long is relative now as I am only classifying it as over an hour.  The approach is a little different for this build as I am trying to slowly build my miles and pace. 

The interesting thing about building my pace is that I feel like garbage at paces slower than around 7:45, as soon as I'm running longer and harder I feel better.  Don't ask me why but I just do.  I also hate running on the treadmill.  The time just seems to drag and the effort I have to put in seems a lot greater than what it does on the road.  I can head out on the road and crack off sub 7 minute miles without any effort, when on a treadmill I feel like my lungs and legs want to give out right away.  Weird!  We had a good computrainer effort this morning at Endure It:

15' Warm Up
4 x 8'  (continuous)
- 4' @ AT
-1' RI
- 2' @ AT
- 1' RI
5' @ 80%
Cool Down

I don't want to say the numbers came easily, but at the same time it wasn't a huge struggle either.  After a big weekend of riding and running it was nice to have a solid effort today.  Hopefully I'll get a short run in today, and masters swimming tonight.  I am feeling better in the water so that's a bonus.  Big season ahead, still trying to decide on a few races.

No comments: