Monday, January 31, 2011

That Hurt!

This past weekend I headed up to Milwaukee to be part of a team time trial with the ISCorp guys out of the Milwaukee area.  The way the time trial was set up was that there were 16 computrainers set up, therefore there were 16 teams.  Each team had 8 riders, so there were 8 time slots where a member from each team raced.  I raced in the 7th time slot, so I was able to watch a lot of other races before.  The format was that each person raced for 30 minutes, the courses changed from hilly to flat.  I ended up on a flat course.  So essentially this was a 30 minute threshold test.

As I was warming up I saw Joe Kurian walk in, who is an awesome triathlete.  He took 9th overall in 2009 at Ironman Wisconsin, and raced as an amateur.  At this point I knew I would have my hands full.  I didn't know who else we had in our heat, but I knew I needed to try to stay with Joe.  The expo center was ridiculously hot!

So the race...after everyone was calibrated on the computrainers we had a few minutes to finish our warm up.  They counted down and it was on.  We were sitting around 360-380 watts for the first minute or two when all of the sudden Joe dropped the hammer and was cranking out over 600 watts.  So I had to go with, I knew that could be the race right then.  Did I want to hammer away that hard that early...heck no!  He put a small gap on me, and so I decided that I would try to slowly bring him back with the remaining time.  Well I did slowly catch up, but ran out of time.  I went 12.00 miles in 30 minutes, and he went 12.03.  I did end up averaging 304 watts for the 30 minutes.  This hurt...really hurt! 

The expo was cool, and it was nice to see a huge group of triathletes together in January.  Thanks to the Larsen crew for letting me stay on Saturday night.  It was nice to get a long run in on Sunday morning on a snow packed trail as well.  It helped me to remember why I enjoy running so much.  I think I just have to go do my long runs in different locations.  Let's hope for some snow in the next couple of days.

No comments: