Friday, January 14, 2011

Gotta Love This...a Top Gun Reference in Triathlon

Not sure why I hadn't seen this before, but it compares the Macca - vs - Raelert dual to that of the one in the best movie ever, Top Gun, when Maverick says "I'll hit the brakes, and he'll fly right by".

http://simonwhitfield.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-was-kinda-shocked-to-read-this-online.html

Every race is strategic, and I like Macca's go hard on the bike attitude in regards to Crowie, maybe because that's what I have to do when I race.  However, I would love to be able to combo that bike punch with a run follow through!  Still laying the base for the follow through now, and I think much of it is mental!  I have the physical abilities to run people down, I just need to get the confidence to go after them.  I will go after anyone on a bike (well except for the guy at IMAZ who smoked by me...I did go with him for a few miles, and then decided that was a bad move so early in the race), so why not go after anyone on the run too?  I let the one guy at Arizona open up a small gap on me within the first mile.  He never ran away from me until I stopped to pee, so why did I let him open it up.  I wonder if I had stayed right with him if he would have backed off, or pushed himself and blown up?  Yep all questions that you ask yourself after...of course these are dumb questions with no answer but you ask anyway.

I'm already putting together some "attack" locations for IMCDA in June, since I know the course a little from racing there a few years ago.  Anyone who knows that course has an idea where one attack point will be, but there are also a few more where I think you can either make up some time on people ahead of you, or run away from your competition.  Oh and I know where I'm going to attack the bike...the whole thing.  Can't wait for that ride, I have butterflies thinking about it already...that's kind of scary.

1 comment:

Katie-Lynn said...

Negative ghost writer, the pattern is full!