Thursday, January 20, 2011

Feelin it...

Do you ever have those days where you just feel like your on?  This week at Endure It the classes have been testing for their threshold numbers.  The way that we test is pretty simple, a 30 minute time trial on a flat course.  Ride as hard as you can and we use the aveage power as the threshold number for our next block of training.  Being my first season coaching these classes I wasn't sure how the athletes would adapt to the training.  We had some great results with some people making some huge gains!

So I was just planning on riding a tempo pace for class today since I will be riding an all out effort next weekend in Milwaukee with the ISCorp boys for a team time trial at the Multisport Expo up there.  Well I was doing alright sticking to that plan until about 7 minutes into the test when I decided that I just wanted to sit at my last threshold number for the remaining time to get some different work in (and to see if I could, come on who am I kidding).  Well when 300+ watts was coming easy to me still at the 15 minute mark on the test I decided to pour it on.  So I can't say that this was a true "test" for me since I was pretty conservative for the first half, but I'll take the results that I ended up with.  I ended up averaging 6 watts higher than the last time I tested which was about a year ago.  I'm happy with where I ended up, but think I have more in the tank.  I was encouraging athletes throughout the 30 minute test, which I'm sure had to take a little out of me, basically meaning I wasn't as focused as I usually would be on my test.  Anyway I'm not making excuses, and am happy with where things are right now.

On a separate note this months Triathlete Magazine and Lava Magazine have some interviews with the Raelert brothers which I found really interesting.  One of the biggest things that I think people need to take from it is that they said they make no excuses.  If someone beats them, that's it, they beat them and were better on that day.  Race season is still months away, but I can't wait for it to get here...well yes I can, I better get that running thing in order.  My legs are pretty trashed right now, but tomorrow a new chapter of training begins..."Operation Run".  I have some ideas that I'm going to use to improve upon it, excited to see how that plays out!

No comments: