Monday, May 2, 2011

An Epic Weekend

This weekend I set out to train a lot!  I have to say that I was successful with that.  Saturday I set out to ride 100 miles and then run off of the bike.  I had wanted to run 10 miles off of the bike, and I ended up settling for 7...not because I felt bad or because I couldn't do it but because my Garmin died.  I know lame excuse but as I was running I really needed to hold my pace back because my legs really wanted to go (crazy right?).  I thought it would be a better idea to stop at 7 miles than to over exert myself on the last three not knowing my pace.  Too dependent on technology, maybe but my confidence was really high knowing I could have continued to run Saturday.  My ride went great, I was solo the whole time, fought with the wind all day, and ended up averaging over 21 mph and had a normalized power (and average power) which were higher than last year on a similar type of training ride.  Training from the winter must be paying off!

My new Zoot Cycling Kit and Ridley Dean

Sunday I had wanted to put in a huge run.  My goal was to go out and run 23 miles at a 7:20 pace.  Miles one and two were not pretty, and the thought of turning around was definitely there.  I stayed with my plan though and after about 40 minutes felt much better.  Thanks to my Mom who rode next to me and gave me water I nailed my longest training run ever, which also finished up my longest run week ever.  I ran 63 miles last week, and ended up averaging 7:10 for the 23 yesterday.  I could have gone faster, farther...but thought it would be stupid.  Which it probably would have been.  Training seems to be going well.  Now I need to take this confidence into that race I have 8 weeks from now, and nail it!  Can't wait!!!

No comments: