Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Staying Consistent

I don't think you will find someone out there in the multisport world who will disagree with the fact that staying consistent with your training works.  That's not just consistent for a few days, it means stringing together months and even years of consistent training to reach your goals.  In my previous 3 Ironman build phases I cannot say that I was as consistent as I should have been.  There would be chunks of time where I didn't swim, or didn't run much. (I did always ride my bike though)  For about the last year or so I don't think I've had that "chunk" of time when I missed out on training.  I'm not going to say that my training has been perfect, because it hasn't...but it has been consistent.  I don't think there has been more than 2 or 3 days in a row without training my swim/bike/run.  I really feel that this has been key to my build up for Coeur d' Alene.  In the past I've dealt with some plantar fascitis issues which has put a damper on my running.  This year, thanks to my new Zoot shoes, I haven't had to deal with that at all, and I've run more than I ever have!

Because I've been consistent I look forward to swimming and running which have been problematic in the past.  I do think that I do have more potential than I'm showing right now, and have to be patient with my training.  We all have goals, and I've been kicking around a particular goal lately.  I'm not sure whether the attempt will be made in 2012 or 2013, but I do think it's attainable with more consistent training.  First things first though, I need to train hard for another 3 weeks with some big bike mileage, some smart running, and a lot of swimming at race pace and faster.

Remember everyone, stay consistent and you can do whatever you put your mind to!

No comments: