Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sessions Aren't Always Magical

Like anyone I like to see improvement, and like most people we always think we're going to improve more and more and more.  Well you get to a point where you work harder for smaller improvements, I think we all understand that.  And in my brain I understand the reasoning behind that, though what you have to keep in check is your ego.

One of the sessions that I completed today just wasn't what I was hoping for.  It wasn't bad...but there just wasn't much there.  I take responsibility though because I didn't fuel properly after my first training session, and I wasn't the smartest about the timing of my meals yesterday either.  It's interesting how you can feel the difference.  Walking into the session I knew I didn't "feel" right, but I also realized that I would be upset with myself if I didn't give the workout a go.  So hoping things would turn around I stuck with it, and ended up with a decent set, the effort was there, the times just weren't.  I guess it's something to learn from, and to try to avoid in the future. 

Remember it's not always about setting a PR in every workout, but it's about sticking to the plan and having faith that the work you're putting in will eventually pay dividends.

1 comment:

Carolina John said...

I know what you mean, and it happens to everyone. That's exactly how I feel about marathons. I love running full marathons, but as soon as you think you have the distance figured out, it finds a new way to humble you. Being humbled and still being able to maintain a positive mental outlook about our sport is what really makes us rockstars.