Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Little Improvements...

Since most of us think along the same lines we always want to see improvments...and lets be serious we get amped when we see big improvements.  Well there comes a time when you have to realize that seeing "big" improvements just isn't going to happen all of the time.  That's when you have to celebrate those little things.  I was thinking about this today after a conversation I had yesterday with a good friend and an adviser of sorts in one particular sport.  Nothing we spoke about was something either of us didn't know, but reassuring that I'm on the right track.  So on my bike commute in to work today I was thinking about those "little improvements" that I could celebrate and realized that I did have some today while swimming.  Yes I would love to leave on a faster interval...but typically with swimming the "send offs" are based on 5 second increments...1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25 ect...you get the idea.  Well that 5 seconds (crazy I know) can be a huge difference.  So what do you do when you are consistently making one interval, but the other is just slightly out of reach?  No masters group is going to do a workout based off of a 1:27 base.  It would be sweet don't get me wrong, but that's some math that I just don't want to have to do at 5:00 a.m. in the cold water.

Back to my thought process this morning...I know I'm in between two intervals, and today I realized (thanks to Keating writing another great swim set) that my send off was just a bit faster than usual, and I was maintaining.  So I'm not quite at that faster interval yet...but maybe by the end of January.  That will be my goal.  Things are slowly getting dialed back up on the training front and I'm excited about it, I like where I am right now and feel pretty good about 2 of the 3 sports.  I'm hoping with some work that the 3rd will come around pretty quickly.  Pain loves company...so I'm getting ready for some.

No comments: