Thursday, June 2, 2011

I've Been There...

Like everyone I push myself when I train.  I try to train at above race pace at times for all of the reasons that everyone else does, however I think a big part of it is for my brain.  I really believe that your body is far stronger than your brain...yep, if you can turn off the "this freakin' hurts" mechanism that's in your brain you're golden.  I haven't quite figured out how to turn off that switch yet (although I'm working on it) but I've learned to better cope with having that switch on.  My theory (nothing scientific to this at all!!) is that I want to train at certain paces so that when I see particular numbers in races I'm not surprised or scared that I can't hold those paces.  I think I've done a pretty good job with this lately, as I'm not scared to see my running pace in the upper 5 minute range...I've been there in training quite a bit, therefore I know that my body can handle it and that my legs won't blow up!  I know that I've held certain paces in the pool, and that I can push to hold onto a draft in the water if I need to...the key is staying focused enough to stay on those feet.  The bike, well that's the bike, and I love to bike...so if I see someone ahead it's as if they are a target.

24 days until Ironman CDA, time for the final push!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Rick -
I couldn't find your email but I would like you to contact me in regards to sampling a CEP compression product and posting a review. Check out our website and all the products www.cepcompressin.com and please email me at jsegar@mediusa.com
Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie said...

sorry the website is www.cepcompression.com