Friday, June 25, 2010

Mind Games

As I was swimming this morning I was thinking...I mean what the heck else is there to do while you're following a black line for 4700 meters?  The first thing I was thinking about was an excuse to get out of the water because I know when I get into the pool with this group it's just like jumping into the hurt locker for 2 hours.  So after a couple hundred meters of not coming up with any good excuses to get out I moved on to bigger and deeper thoughts, oh wait I was just getting to the deeper end of the pool, so maybe not deeper thoughts, and maybe not bigger...I mean how do you have a "big" thought.  Alright enough rambling, so what I came up with was the fact that workouts are just a mind game.  I could have gotten out of the pool after 2000 meters and said, "I have to ride and run today too, so I don't want to burn out in the pool..." but as I thought about it more what the heck is that crap?  I've said you will never regret a workout, and I do believe that, whether that's a 5000 meter swim workout or a 15 minute run or a set of push ups and sit ups because that's all you had time for.  Should I ride and run today?  Of course, but I don't want that to be an excuse to get out of the pool because it might be difficult.

Ironman Arizona is less than 5 months away and I don't want to have any regrets after that race.  I know what I'm capable of, and the only way to achieve that is to put the time and effort in now.  I have a great base going for me, so now it's time to continue to build the engine and to start to push things a bit.  I haven't been happy with my running lately, well besides Lake Mills and running specific races and I know why.  I have not put the time in running off of the bike.  Even if it's just 10 minutes because that's the time I have, I need to start getting those runs in.  I don't want to wait until mile 6-7 on the run in a half ironman to start feeling good...I want it to be at like mile 2-3 and then be able to push.  I haven't been a force on the run, and that needs to change.  I think it can with improved bike fitness, but transition and brick runs are going to be huge these next 5 months.

I have to send a shout out to Hillard to congratulate him on his first overall win in a mountain bike race!  That's huge, and to accomplish it out in Colorado is even better.  Nice work Ryan, you've been working your butt off...now get in the pool! 

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend in Buffalo Springs, wish I could join you, but someone has to be here to train so I guess I'll have the roads and trails to myself...yea right wishful thinking.  I'm thinking about adding a couple of races to my schedule, I'll have to wait and see about that but it might be fun.

No comments: