Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Weekend of Riding

So this weekend was dedicated to riding, and I was able to get 170 miles of riding in.  It was cool too because each ride was gradually more difficult.  Saturday started with an easy 25 miles with the Endure It group out of the Willowbrook store.  I'm really liking the frontage road loop and the hills are definitely better to run than to bike...more on that in a bit.  Sunday I met up with the "Red Lantern" crew as Wanner would call us and we did some riding out to Fermilab and back.  It was a perfect morning to ride.  No traffic, no wind, great company and we were on our bikes!  We put in some tougher efforts at times which were definitely fun.

Yesterday Chad had the great idea to head up to Madison to ride on the IM course.  So at 6 a.m. Chad, Keating, and I jumped in the car to head up to the course.  As we pulled in Louie and Tammy were pulling in as well to do some riding so it was nice to have a little group.  The plan was to ride two loops which would end up being between 85-86 miles.  We rolled out at about 8:45 to start riding, and although the sky looked a bit scary at times we didn't have any rain!  I could tell from the start that my legs were feeling good, but didn't want to let it all hang out until the second loop.  I am feeling better about where my riding is right now, as I could have kept riding, and if we had time I might have.  My legs felt fine the whole time, and when we were done I wasn't sore at all.  This morning my abs are a bit sore from riding in that position for so long, but other than that I'm fine.  I was able to knock out two loops on that course in under 4 hours averaging over 21mph...I think that's about what I did during the race so I'll take it, especially because I didn't have race wheels on, and this is my longest ride of the year so far.  I'm sure there will be many more in the future though!

Today is going to be dedicated to swimming, heck I might even swim twice today...that would be awesome!

No comments: