Monday, August 9, 2010

Pluggin along...

I realize that I have been really slacking big time on this blog so I'll try to catch up here with the important things.  That might be tough because isn't everything important?  Well not really, but here goes.

Training has been going along well, I had a solid week last week.  I guess a couple of highlights would have to come from training on the bike.  This new ride I have is amazing!!  I'm more comfortable than I have ever been, I feel as if I'm more efficient and I feel like I'm stronger each and every day.  Last Wed. computrainer was solid, and went something like this (if I can remember that far ago)

15' warm up
2 x through the following:
5' @ 85-90% (255-270 watts)
1' RI
4' @ 90-95% (270-285 watts)
1' RI
3' @ AT (310 watts)
1' RI
2' (1' @ AT; 1' @ Max sustainable - 420+ watts)
1' RI
1' @ Max Sustainable (450 watts)
Cool Down

I pretty much nailed that workout and didn't put a whole lot of extra effort in, so that felt nice!!

Being a scatter brain I'm going to head back to a tempo run from last Tuesday, 7 miles, and I was faster than all of the paces that I had set for myself, so again happy with that.  Swimming was over 15,000 yards so another positive, and I even hit some pretty fast times in the pool...well fast for me that is!  And I have at least 4 more weeks outside so that's a bonus!!

Saturday I rode long with Chad and Saeger, and my legs were feeling good, as time went on they started to feel better!  I think the best part about the ride was how fresh I felt when I was done.  I'm feeling fresh after riding in the 70-80 mile range and so now it means I need to bump that up.  I want to feel fresh after riding 112, not 76!  And trust me when I say that is a huge difference.

Last night I did my long run, 15 miles in which I was able to hold a 6:51 pace without having to step on the gas too much.  I want that to feel easier though...and I want it faster, the only way to get there though is to put in the work.

This morning I went to swim downtown with Wanner.  Let me tell you he is determined to be ready for this Ironman next June.  We went down to Ohio Street beach to get some open water swimming in.  The water was very calm (for Lake Michigan standards) and it didn't feel too cold, so I made the game time decision to swim without a wetsuit.  I have never done this in Lake Michigan and thought it would be a good challenge.  Heading out to the first buoy was no problem and I was comfortable.  But as you get closer to the break wall the water got colder...way colder.  As I was waiting at the half mile buoy for Wanner I realized how cold I was, and some people walking by dropped a thermometer in the water and proceeded to announce to me that the water was 64 degrees...thanks a lot!  At least now I knew I wasn't just being a wimp and as soon as Wanner got out there I said let's head back I'm frozen.  It was wierd that as you got closer to shore you could really feel the change in temps. However, the damage was already done.  I was only 3 minutes slower without a wetsuit and I really didn't hammer all that much so it was a good day.

This week includes a lot of riding, single speed tonight, mountain tomorrow, tri bike wednesday & e-ride wednesday, and the hammerfest Thursday night at Willowbrook's Endure It.

Last week I also met with the awesome crew at Lululemon Oakbrook and there are some exciting things on the horizon!!  A new beginners run group is going to start out of the store on September 15th, at 6:30 p.m. come check it out!  I'm really excited to be working with such awesome people and can't wait to see what else they have in store as well!!!

No comments: