Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Another Mental Test

I decided to get my long run in yesterday after school.  I wanted to run 20 miles, and wanted to hold a 7 minute pace for that 20 miles.  I had an idea of a route I wanted to run, but scratched that and decided to get some hill work in instead...why I'm not sure.  I knew that heading south from school 6 miles would get me close to Waterfall Glen, and then I thought it was about another mile or so before I was able to jump onto the trail.  Well it was only a half mile to the trail, so I head off on the crushed limestone reminding myself that I was closer to turning around and heading back.  I was doing a good job of holding a 7:00 pace up until about mile 10.  That's when I caught up with the xc kids from school and ran with them for a few miles.  We were sitting right at a 7 minute pace and before I knew it I had to head back onto the roads.  I was tempted to stay with the guys and take the bus back, but know I would have been mad at myself for doing so.  I knew there were a few big hills I still had to tackle and I had to get ready for them.  I tried to sit at my pace, but the hills took a lot out of me.  I hit the 17 mile mark and was about 25 seconds off of the pace I needed to be...so I tried to not bring it back all in the first mile, but most of it came back there.  Mile 17 on was not a pretty sight, but I was able to get my 20 miles in right at a 7 minute pace.  It's amazing the mind games that you have to play with yourself to get you through things.  It was a good confidence boost, and I ran out some demons, which is always a good thing.

When I got home I was pretty smashed, and it was nice to hang out and play with the dogs.

This morning was Computrainer at Endure It.  The set is below:

Warm Up: 15 minutes

• 2’ Easy
Main Set: 25 minutes
• 5’ @ 70% (220 watts)
• 5’ @ 75% - Cadence = 100+ (235 watts)
• 5’ @ 80% (250 watts)
• 5’ @ 85% - Cadence = 100+ (270 watts)
• 5’ @ 80% (250 watts)
• 3’ Easy
Drill Set: 12 minutes
• 3 x thru
o 2’ Right Leg – Cadence 50-60
o 2’ Left Leg – Cadence 50-60
Cool Down

I wasn't sure if I would have any power in my legs seeing as it was less than 12 hours since a long run effort.  Much to my surprise the power was there.  Not saying I didn't have to work for it...but it was there.  My legs didn't feel too bad once I got going.  And as long as they are moving I'm good...it's when I stop that things start to hurt.
 
I'm going to get in the water today for a quick swim set.  Hopefully that will help to flush things out a bit more.  26 more days!!

No comments: