Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Heavy Legs...

Ironman training can take its toll on you...mentally and physically.  After riding long on Sunday I wanted to go easy yesterday and just rode for an hour on the computrainer.  What was supposed to be easy didn't always feel easy, but I kept things under 200 watts and ended up riding a little over 20 miles.  I slept in this morning and just got back from a lunchtime 6 mile run.  I wanted to keep things in check at the start of the run, and well it was easy to do because I didn't feel like I had much in my legs.  My body is starting to feel the training, and I'm loving that.  There are times to fight through the fatigue and times to back down...this is a time to fight through.  What I have found is that as I get further along into my workouts I start to feel better. 

A prime example would be my run today, I started out going through the first mile at 6:48 which didn't feel hard, but it didn't feel like it was easy!  I ended up finishing with a 6:19 mile and in all honesty it felt easier than the first mile.  I have found this to be similar on my long rides as well.  I start to feel better at about mile 40-50.  Now if I can just hold that feeling through until the end of the ride I'll be happy...that's what these next 5 weeks are for.  Today's run ended up being 6 miles at a 6:30 pace, so even though I didn't feel great it was a solid workout.  I still have a ride on tap for tonight, and maybe another short run to get the dogs tired out before the bike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am thoroughly impressed. I heard from others that you were into Ironmen triathlons, but I didn't realize the extent of your involvement. I guess I have a long way to go in order to consider myself a triathlete. With the days getting shorter and colder it is going to be tough. Aren't you nervous about getting hit by cars on busy roads like 55th street?