Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Pain Cave...

4 more hard weeks before a two week taper...that's what I keep telling myself.  I need to get my running legs back, and there is really only one way to do that...to run more.  I ran 6 yesterday and felt alright while averaging 6:32's.  I looked back to a similar workout that I did in August and I ended up running 6:41's, so at least I know there is some improvement.  Within this next month I would like to get that down another few seconds...basically I want running 7:00-7:05 pace to feel easy...really easy! 

Last night I hit up a 90 minute trainer session.  I was trying to ride with my powertap, but I decided to change back to my "trainer" bike because I couldn't get the wattage up.  I think my trainer is starting to crap out on me.  I was spinning at a cadence of over 100, in the hardest gear, with the trainer wheel cranked all the way tight and I could hardly hit 200 watts.  Not sure the reason, but I was working much less outdoors pushing 300+ watts.  So in changing bikes I strapped on my heart rate monitor and decided to use that for the workout.  The workout didn't look that hard on paper, but stupid me wanted my heart rate to get pretty high...here was the set:

20 minute warm up
5 minutes - :20 sprint; :40 easy
5 minutes easy
5 minutes hard (HR = 160+)
5 minutes easy
4 minutes hard
4 minutes easy
3 minutes hard
3 minutes easy
2 minutes hard
2 minutes easy
1 minute hard
1 minute easy
20 minutes tempo (HR = 140+)
10 minutes easy

It was tough to get my heart rate up for the first five minute set, but after that I didn't seem to have a problem spinning it up there.  I just bumped some Dr. Dre and rolled through the workout.  I have a longer ride/run to get in tonight.  4 more hard weeks...it's going to pay off!!

No comments: