Monday, March 14, 2011

Building Up Once Again

I'm about 15 weeks out from Ironman Coeur 'd Alene.  Although it's been a while since my last Ironman (November) this is the "fastest" turn around that I've had between Ironman races.  I have always had more than a year in between races, and this will be about 7 months, only to follow up 3.5 months later with Kona. Because it hasn't been that long since my last race I don't think I really lost that much fitness.  Actually, as I look at things I would say that I'm putting up some better numbers right now than I was during my Arizona build.

It's also kind of nice to train for CDA without the questions of "are you going to qualify for Kona?"  Thankfully I have already done so.  Having done so I feel much more confident in training.  I know that I can go harder, and know that I have to!  There are definitely some big goals for CDA on June 26th, and the only way to get there is hard, smart work.  Although I don't have the same "volume" of swimming that I had last year at this time, I would say my swimming is better.  My stroke has changed, and I am holding the same times or slightly faster without the effort I was putting in before.  The way I figure is that even if I come in with the same time out of the water, I haven't wasted as much energy, which will leave more in the tank for the run.  I say the run because I am not that worried about the bike.  Idon't think I've had this many miles on my bike so early in the year ever.  Total for the year so far I have over 1500 miles on my bike.  I would say two-thirds of that is indoors on the computrainer, but a fair amount is outside on my belt drive 29er.  My power numbers are higher than they were last year, and I have some serious plans to get some even better riding in building up to CDA than I did for Arizona. 

Last week was my largest volume run week in...shoot I don't know how long.  I nailed my track workout with mile repeats, and have already done more "speed" work than all of 2010...2 track sessions.  Yep I only did one in 2010, so I already feel ahead of the game this year.  I have been consistent with my "long" runs and have been doing an alright job of holding back the pace.  I should probably dial it back a bit more, but when you feel good you want to go, and when you dont' feel good you still go so that it's over quicker.  I'm loving my new Zoot Ultra TT 4.0's, so light and comfortable!! 

I'm headed out to Cali in a couple of weeks, can't wait.  I plan on putting in some solid training time, along with some quality surf time on the beach.  Hopefully the beach time will even out the cycling tan lines that I'm sure will happen.

No comments: