Friday, March 18, 2011

Thinking, Adapting, Motivating

Before I went out for my run today I heard something that was kind of interesting.  It's not the first time I've heard it, but for some reason today I actually thought of the meaning.  Why do people say, "wish me luck"?  I mean what if that person doesn't want to "wish you luck"?  It's like they are fishing for compliments, or something like that.  This is not to say I don't appreciate when people do "wish me luck" however, I don't ask them to do so.  Isn't it something they should do on their own, not have you prompt them to do so?  Don't know why I thought of this, but just had to put it out there.

The past two weeks I've really picked up my running volume, and there were a few days where I thought I might be overdoing it, however as I pushed through those days I think I am now over the hump.  Running feels good again, and I think my body is starting to adapt to the higher volume.  I was actually smarter with how I built up, and slowly went up each week by a few miles instead of having a 15 mile week followed by a 45 mile week.  I'm feeling much more comfortable holding certain paces both on the road and on the track.  I guess that just means I'll have to change things up to make sure I keep progressing.  This week will end up being the biggest volume in quite a while which I'm happy about.  I have found that running 6 days a week is doable, and that I feel better as the week goes on, consistency is key. 

I have to send out a special thanks to Jake from Zoot.  Not only is the Zoot gear awesome, but he is amazing to work with!!  I absolutely love all of the gear and it has helped bring my training to a new level, can't wait to see what it does to my racing.  If you haven't checked out the Zoot gear you need to do so!  I have been running in the Zoot Ultra TT 4.0's for a while now and they are amazing!!  Light, comfortable and I just can't say enough about how impressed I am.  Check them out.

During my run today I was thinking about motivation.  Different people have different reasons for everything, so I was thinking about my journey through triathlon.  At first I thought it was fun (which I still do) and it was something to do, a goal to look forward to completing.  Completing being the key word there.  As I continued through the sport I started to challenge myself, I mean that's what it's about right?  Pushing yourself farther than you thought you could go right?  That continues to be a motivating factor for me today.  I do believe that there are other outside influences as well though.  I think last season I had something to prove, it was an escape, and I embraced it and my racing took me to a new level, a happier place.  I do believe that I am capable of much more, and because of that the motivation continues to be pushing myself further than I thought I could go.  The great thing about triathlon is that the only thing that can stop you from succeeding is you!  I have a great crew to support me from my amazing family and friends to my incredible sponsors, race season kicks off in less than 2 months.  Can't wait to get after it once again this year!

No comments: