Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Details...

So the blog posts have been short, I've been busy.  I don't feel like going back to see what I had said in those recent posts so I'll try to fill things in about the past couple of weeks.

About two weeks ago Chad and I raced at the Pigman Half Ironman in Palo, Iowa.  I had wanted to do this race, and I'm glad Chad decided to do it as well because that was more motivation for me to actually sign up.  It was kind of a fast trip for me as I didn't leave for Iowa until around 3 on Saturday afternoon, raced Sunday morning and was home about 7:30 p.m. Sunday night.

The race - To start we were delayed because of fog.  We were actually delayed for about an hour or so which was not all that exciting.  I had eaten breakfast before we left the hotel, and delaying the race for an hour left me a little hungry at the start.  I had taken my GU Roctane 15 minutes before I thought I would start...dumb move on my part!  Oh well, something to learn from.

Swim - This was a time trial start where someone started every 3 seconds.  I had never done a time trial start before, so this was kind of interesting.  It was nice to start passing people right from the start and I had a decent swim.  I was 2 minutes faster than a month ago, and I don't think I stayed on course all that well.  I still need to work on the swim.

Bike - I ended up with a PR bike split of 2:15...that's the good news.  I am wondering how I did that though considering within the first 5 miles I lost one of my GU Brew bottles and my Garmin.  So I was on my own in terms of pace for the remainder of the race and all I had was one bottle of GU Brew...from there on out it was water because what they had on the course was nasty!!!  I just rode by feel and things felt good so I went with it.  I was riding well, and within myself, and it was nice to keep passing people.  I ended up riding myself through the waves until I rode into the first wave (I was wave 6).

Run - This was just survival!  It was hot...and I mean HOT!!!  So I ran from aid station to aid station and just tried to stay within myself.  It worked out well, and I know that I have some work to do on the running front, and that has already started!

Overall I was 9th place and I won my age group.  Solid day for sure.

This past weekend Dan, Noah and I did the Chicago Triathlon as a relay.  Dan swam and killed it coming out of the water faster than last year and in 3rd position.  I'm guessing that he passed 2nd in the run to transition because I had only seen one person come in before him.  That guy was way ahead, and as it turns out he's the 2nd best distance high school swimmer in the state.  So I knew I had some work to do to catch up.  As soon as I took the chip I was off.  My goal was to completely bury myself on the bike to see what I could do.  I had no idea how fast I was going because I didn't have a computer, so I just pushed harder and harder.  The funny thing is that as time went on I started to settle in.  The first 6 miles or so I was hurting.  It would have helped to warm up on my bike...but I'm not sure how that was going to happen since I had to check it in at 5:30 a.m. and didn't get on it to ride until 10ish.  I had a race official on a motorcycle trying to clear things out for me, but there were times that he got in my way so I had to slow down.  My bike felt great and I ended up passing everyone I needed to and gave Noah a lead on the run.  We ended up winning the relay by 2 minutes.

It's been a great couple of weeks, and now the training starts to pick up in volume...can't wait!!!

No comments: