Monday, September 6, 2010

Today...I got put in my place!

I have a weakness...besides swimming, and no it's not the bike, or nutrition...it's RUNNING!  I have been slacking on my run training and today it was evident.  I went out for a long ride with Chad and Dan, we ended up riding almost 80 miles which was solid, and I felt great riding.  I was strong into the headwind, it was easy to hold over 300 watts for long stretches of road, riding 22+ mph into a brutal wind, I pretty much nailed the ride...and then came the transition run after.  We decided that we were going to go about 3 miles.  So the three of us set out and were running just under a 7 minute pace down Chad's street.  That's when he said alright see you guys...and that's when the pain/reality set in.  Dan can run...Dan can ride...Dan can swim...but at this time it was the run that he was using to inflict pain on me.  Neither of us had a Garmin on, so we didn't know how fast we were going, but Chad let us know when we were at mile 1...6:17...are you kidding me after riding almost 80 miles, that's just stupid.  I have no right trying to run that fast, and that definitely caught up to me the next 14 minutes.  We turned around after running for 10 minutes, I was hoping just to wait there for Chad and then run back easy to his house.  Well as it turns out Chad had already turned around...probably at mile 1.5 which we should have done if we had a Garmin...so Dan told me I had a mile and a half to catch Chad.  So we took off, and darn it he wasn't coming back as fast as I wanted to.  Running with Dan wasn't helping either since he is just effortless and I'm breathing as if I had one lung and I was on the top of a mountain.  I hung on with Dan for a little longer before he pulled away.  Ended up finishing in around 20 minutes or so, but it was painful!

At least I know where I stand on the running front...and that I need to do more of it, so from here on out I suppose I need a little challenge.  Daily runs of 20 minutes or more...let's hope for the more, but I need something to jumpstart my running again.  I cruised through a half ironman in July, and I need to get that feeling back.  Part of me is thinking that was just a fluke.  Time to get to work I have a solid 2 months to regain that running form.  Which I think can happen.  My bike is there, my swim...well I won't die...it's time to put it all together.  Thanks guys for kicking my butt today!!!

No comments: