Wednesday, September 14, 2011

23 Days...

In 23 days I'll be racing at the Ironman World Championships on the big island of Hawaii.  I don't know why, but yesterday I started to think about the race quite a bit...I tried to visualize myself out on the course, and as wierd as it sounds I couldn't see myself out there.  I think I'm still in a bit of shock that I'm going to be racing there...you would think this shock would have worn off by now but I guess it hasn't.  I'm having a tough time wrapping my brain around the idea of racing in the largest venue the sport has to offer.  All sorts of thoughts run through my head, good thoughts, thoughts of doubt...everything.

I feel like I'm in better shape now than I have ever been leading up to an Ironman race.  I have more long rides than I have ever had before.  My swimming is coming around and I'm hitting consistently faster times in trainining, and I've been smarter about my running not worrying about the pace every single run.  I have been able to elevate my pace as runs go on which is good.  I really need to start picturing myself there, I belong there, I've done the work and I'm ready to enjoy the day.

I don't know what to expect when I get there, I know the heat can be brutal, and can cripple people.  I also know that the people there are the best in the world.  So my typical "I'll ride away from people" attitude has to change, and I need to stay within myself.  I'm excited, scared, nervous...and ready to go.  I have a few more big workouts planned, really just to keep things sharp.  I'm reading about the pro's who are already heading out there...the hype is building.  I can't wait to see how this plays out.  I really don't have too many expectations and want to enjoy the experience.

1 comment:

CautiouslyAudacious said...

Good luck! I always watch it on live streaming. Once you cross that finish line maybe the shock will wear off :-)