Monday, September 26, 2011

Raising the Bar

So at the start of this month I had a challenge to swim 60,000 yards, yes for swimmers that's not a lot, and for many triathletes that might be normal.  For me that's not normal, yes there are a lot of things about me that aren't normal, but we won't get into that.  I thought this was an attainable goal and I knew I'd need to swim 2000 yards each day.  Knowing that I would end up missing a few days in the water I would try to make up for them early on in the month.  As it turns out it's September 26th and my yardage tally is at 59,200.  Only 800 yards shy of my goal.  At this rate I can swim for 200 yards a day to meet that goal...but why stop there?  My goal is still 60,000 yards for the month, but I wonder if I can't hit 70,000?

Yes my taper has started, but I can't come completely off of the gas and swimming takes the least out of me (in terms of recovery) so why not keep this rolling.  If I swim 2200 yards a day I'll be able to hit 70,000 yards for the month.  That would shatter my largest month (actually I'm already 5,000 yards above my largest month ever).  The nice thing is that I haven't let the other sports slip either, I'll end up hitting about 1000 miles riding this month and should be within the 120ish miles running which is down a little, but running is where I have the most risk for injury so I wanted to make sure I didn't over do it there.

Hawaii is just around the corner, I'm ready to get out there to have MY race...I'm sure it's going to be tough to do, but for some reason I don't really feel all that much pressure to take a certain "place" in the race.

I've been thinking a lot about next years race calendar.  So far I have one race set in stone...Ironman Wisconsin.  I have a score to settle with that race...looking forward to the journey to get there.  We have a fun group heading up there to race, and I think I have a solid idea of what I want to do in order to prepare for this run at IMWI.  Besides that I don't have all that much sorted out.  A training camp in San Diego in March, hopefully an early season (May) half ironman, and then probably a half per month (June, July, not sure about August), I think I'm even going to throw in a few Xterra races, there is one in Michigan and Indiana that sound kind of fun.

First things first though...Kona.

No comments: