Friday, September 9, 2011

Bring the Heat!

Ironman Hawaii is rapidly approaching so it's about time for the unofficial freak out to begin.  The "official" freak out will probably happen two weeks out and build in strength until race day.  I continue to hear about how hot it is in Kona, and with the temperatures around Chicago dropping, my tan fading and daylight dwindling it's time to make some of my own heat I suppose.  So I've started to ride on the computrainer with no fan...it's nasty let me tell you...I've also started to run on the treadmill while wearing a sweatshirt and with a space heater blowing in my face.  An athlete that has done Kona compared the heat to trying to workout with a blow dryer on high in your face the entire time.  Hence the space heater in my face (well off to the right side a bit...I need to be able to see the TV when I'm running or I'd go completely mad).  I think it's time to throw in another space heater though...one on the left side.  I know I'm strange but I like things to be even, I mean what happens when the right side of my body can handle heat but the left can't?  Just kidding of course, but I would like it to get a little bit warmer when I'm running.  I've been handling the heat pretty well, and haven't tried to do crazy intensity, honestly I don't think the treadmill could handle it.

On a separate note my blender crapped out on me last night.  I'm kind of glad it did to tell you the truth for a couple of reasons.  The most important of which is now I have a reason to get a Vitamix right?  I've wanted one, but couldn't justify it when I had a blender which worked perfectly fine...now that I don't maybe it's time to invest in one, or even better maybe someone wants to just send one to me.  I don't think I'll hold my breath on that one though.

Looking forward to this weekend for sure, nothing like training on an Ironman course, watching an Ironman and then starting to prepare for a HUGE goal ahead.  Good luck to the Endure It crew (and everyone else) racing at Ironman Wisconsin this Sunday, Rev3 Cedar Point (Dana and Julie...Dana you better lay the hurt down that guy), and to all of my Zoot teammates racing the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Vegas.  One special shout out, if you're looking for someone to follow who is going to do some major damage at Ironman Wisconsin this Sunday check out Matt Ancona!  The dude has been killing it in training and is going to do some severe damage to the field on Sunday.  I'm not going to be surprised when he's up there competing for the amateur overall win, and leaving pro's in his dust!

No comments: