Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Another one bites the dust...and a Reflection of Sorts

Last night I was running on the treadmill at my parents house, things were going well until all of the sudden my iPod Shuffle started skipping and making all sorts of weird noises.  Luckily for me I was almost done with my run...so I finished up and figured that plugging it into my computer at home would hopefully solve the problem.  Well I was wrong, so now I've gone through two ipods in the past two months.  Luckily this one (I think) is still under warranty so they should replace it, or fix it...I don't care which I just want to have some music for a LONG flight that I have coming up.  If anyone has an extra iPod shuffle in a drawer that they don't use let me know, I'd be happy to give it a try.

At least I had a good run, I was able to get my hair cut (yes it needed it!), a nice dinner at my parents, and 30 minutes in the sauna at their neighbors house.  My run ended up being 7.5 miles, but it was one of those runs that I could have just kept going, and as I went longer I was feeling stronger.  I guess that's what happens when you start out slow.  Treadmills help me to do that...when I'm outside it doesn't usually happen as much, something I need to get better at.

So unfortunately I have to go to the Apple Store tonight to get my shuffle fixed/replaced...I sure hope they don't give me a hard time about it.  I was able to load some movies from Chad onto my iPad last night so that's definitely a bonus for the trip to Hawaii.  I might need to rip a couple more down and put them on the iPad as well. 

Another swim and a run are on tap for today, I'll hit up a little bit shorter run today though.  I did realize that my treadmill at home is on a huge incline...I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, but hopefully it will help me.  It can't hurt right?

Yesterday I got an email from Beert which was awesome.  It was simple, "Trained for this for almost 3 years and now it's only 11 days away..." with this attached:


That was an awesome email to get!  I hadn't really looked back upon all of the work and sacrifice that I have put into this crazy dream.  So I started to think, and it's crazy just how much I have put into this.  Then I started to think some more...it's not just me that sacrificed a huge amount there are so many people that helped me get here.  I could go on and on about this, but I'll make it short.  My family for being crazy supportive, coming to watch me race all over the country, watching my dogs when I go away to race or train, ride next to me to give me water on long runs...without them I wouldn't be here!  My friends and training partners, misery loves company and there have been some serious highs and lows through this journey.  When you're out riding 100's of miles through corn fields it's great to have people there willing to suffer with you.  Or when you really don't want to swim because it's freezing outside and the last thing you want to think about is jumping into a cold pool, I can think of no other reason other than the people I'm with to keep me going.  When people believe in you incredible things can happen, and I've truly been fortunate enough to have a lot of people who believe in me...something that's great to know when I head out into the lava fields in 10 days.  Without the whole team I wouldn't be out there!

No comments: