Thursday, February 4, 2010

A New Sponsor = Lululemon & A New Threshold

I have some incredible news. I've been talking with the awesome crew over at Lululemon in Oakbrook for the past couple of weeks about getting involved with the store. I'm stoked to announce that they are now a new sponsor and are doing some awesome things this year at the store. I'm going to be running a "Triathlon 101" clinic in a couple of weeks at the store and it is just the start of an ongoing series of clinics that will be held throughout the spring/summer months. Lululemon is an awesome store which has clothing for yoga/pilates/running. I can honestly say that the comfort is like nothing I have worn before! The staff is friendly and outgoing...stop in and check them out!

On the training front I also have some good news. We completed another threshold test yesterday, which is a 30 minute time trial effort where you are supposed to ride as hard as you can for 30 minutes and then workouts you complete are based off of that. Last year our threshold tests were only 20 minutes long, and let me tell you an extra 10 minutes is a long time! The last time we tested was in November and my test was 285 watts. I was happy with that, and was above my number from last year at the same time (it was 279 for a 20 minute test). I wasn't sure what to expect from this test, and had a plan as to how I wanted to attack it. My plan was to build up my effort slowly throughout the 30 minutes...so start low and finish high. My goal going in was 293. I wasn't sure if it was going to happen or not, but I wanted to give it a go. As I started things were rolling along well and I was sticking to my plan, slowly increasing my wattage. When it was all said and done I ended up with a new threshold of 297. Last year at this same time for a 20 minute test I was at 290...so add 10 minutes to that test, I'm happy with where I ended up. I have a new number to shoot for in my head, It's going to stay in my head as motivation, but things are looking good right now.

3 comments:

ryanhillard said...

Congratulations on the new sponsor - that's awesome! When I started doing yoga earlier this year I realized all I had was running shorts or dressier shorts. Since I didn't want my balls falling out (neither does anyone else for that matter), I went to the lululemon store and got some of the 3/4 pants (like capris I guess). They were so comfortable I went back and got a longer pair of pants I just wear around the house basically every night. I also got a long-sleeved running shirt which is awesome. Pretty cool to be in on that.

Those power numbers are pretty awesome too - great work!

Unknown said...

That's fantastic Rick! Super excited about the clinic, sounds amazing.
If you are ever in Vancouver drop us a line!

ryanhillard said...

It's occurred to me that now that Beert, Susan and I aren't the only ones that read your blog any more, maybe I should start editing my comments a bit better!