Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Long Run = Whoops

So this morning after a little breakfast and relaxation with the pups I decided to head out for my long run of the week. Since it's early in the season my long run isn't very long...only 11 miles. Last week I went out for 10 miles and had the dogs with me the whole time, seeing how they were dragging at the end of the run I didn't want to do that to them again. I decided that they are good for about 7 miles at a time. So today I went out with the intention of running 7 with them, dropping them off at home and then finished up with 4 more miles.

It was an awesome morning to run! A little cool, and windy but more importantly it was sunny. The time with the dogs was great, we were clipping along nicely and probably a little faster than I should have been going, but I just went with it. We made it back home and I dropped them off just to take off again. When I took off they were looking out of the front window barking and whining because they wanted to keep going. I felt bad but had to keep going. I didn't want them to crash out, and don't want them to hurt themselves by pushing them any further. I also wanted to push the pace a bit for the last 4 miles. Here is the breakdown of the mile splits today:

Mile 1 = 6:47
Mile 2 = 6:39
Mile 3 = 6:41
Mile 4 = 6:48
Mile 5 - 6:39
Mile 6 = 6:44
Mile 7 = 6:46
Mile 8 = 6:35
Mile 9 = 6:40
Mile 10 = 6:37
Mile 11 = 6:38
Overall it was a 6:41 pace, which is faster than last weeks 10 mile run, but my heart rate was also higher. I felt comfortable the whole time though so I'm ok with it I guess.
Exactly a year ago I ran 11 miles as well for my long run on this Sunday. I ran it with Noel and Wanner at Waterfall Glen and ended up holding a 7:53 pace. So a year later I'm running one minute and twelve seconds faster per mile...I can definitely appreciate that kind of improvement. I'm not sure what exactly to attribute that to because that's a significant improvement in a year. The cool thing too is that I have more time until my "A" race, and I'm already ahead of where I was last year. The key is to keep this going! Any motivation you want to throw my way I will take. Things are going well. Time to go swim!
Oh yea and I'll have a post of my "Chicago Winter Ice Bath" soon enough, probably tomorrow. I figure that I'll try to use what nature gives us for my ice bath. It's a bit chilly!

1 comment:

ryanhillard said...

Looks more like a solid run with good improvements than a whoops. Shows what consistency over the winter can do. Based on what you did I went back and looked at a run from a year ago. This year was 7:50 pace, last year was 8:21. I think the December running was helpful with that.

I don't even take my dogs running anymore. I'm afraid of their hips. They enjoy the cool down walks just the same.