Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A New Swim Highlight, For A Non-Swimmer

I wasn't sure how last night's masters class was going to go because I wasn't sure how my body would feel after the monster swim from Saturday. The warm up felt like crap! All we had was 400 yards where we went 50 free/50 non-free. This shouldn't have felt so hard and my lane mates were just pulling farther and farther away. I stayed the course hoping that things would come around. We had some more drills and kicking to do before we got to our mainset. Things seemed to get a little better, but I was worried about the main set. You see the main set was a 1000 yard time trial followed by 6 x 200 yards where the coach put my lane on a 3:15 interval, and she wanted us to get at least 15 seconds rest for each 200...meaning I would need to swim a 1:30 pace.

Anyway it was time to head off on the 1000 yard time trial. Last week I had a couple of 500's that took me 7:30...a 1:30 pace. I was happy with this seeing as that was fast for me. Considering I was going to be swimming twice that distance I decided that I would be happy swimming somewhere under 17 minutes. It was time to start...I started swimming and felt alright. I wanted to chill through the first 500 and really I did. Then things never seemed to get harder, I was sort of in the zone (for me ok...remember I'm not a great swimmer, but am working to get better). I only got lapped by Chad twice...so his 1000 was my 877 or something like that. I ended up swimming a 1:29 pace and finished in 14:58. I'm very happy with that as I can see that progress is being made. I then nailed the remainder of the main set and finished up the night with 4200 yards total. I have already swam more than my entire Ironman Coeur d' Alene build that I did in 2008. Crazy that in 5 weeks I swam more than an entire 9 months. I guess I know what I did wrong in that race. I have a solid goal for Arizona, and I will need to keep working at this in order to hit that goal. I still have 284 days until the race, and will need everyone of those to hit my swim goal...and really the bike and run goal as well.

I also had a solid weight session yesterday and will hit up the bike and it looks like a snowy run after school today. Thanks to Chad I have some yaktrax to wear in the snow today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,
I was alerted to your blog post because I maintain a facebook fanpage that highlights people who appreciate outdoor activity in almost any condition - primarily winter weather. Mostly we like to hear about how other people get outdoors and fight the urge to stay inside when it gets wintery out there. If you ever want to share your adventures, post your blog link or whatever we welcome that!
Keep active!
Heather
http://www.facebook.com/32northStabilicers?ref=ts

ryanhillard said...

Nice work on the swim TT, especially after a hard day before! I know it's in the back of your mind what you could have done without the 75x100 but I'm sure we'll find out next month. The swimming definitely seems to be coming around - I remember when you were talking about 1:45s, etc. If nothing else you'll have more energy left over for the bike and run. Oh, and maybe it's time to start calling yourself a swimmer to eliminate any negative thoughts.

We can hit up the Lookout Mtn climb when you're out here next. I'll bet you could get close to 20 min.