Monday, November 8, 2010

I have it...

I like watching this triathlon dvd called "What It Takes" which documents a few triathletes build up to Ironman Hawaii in 2005.  Peter Reid (who has won in Kona multiple times) said during the film that he needed something to "piss him off" prior to the race.  I think we can all relate to that in a way, I mean who doesn't like a little extra motivation right?  All I am going to say is that I have that little bit of extra motivation right now.

This weekend was my last big test.  I wanted to do a test ride of 112 miles for time to see what I could do  (Well originally it was just going to be 100...and at the start of the ride I was thinking 75...but then I said screw it!).  The plan was to go out easy and slowly increase the effort.  My nutrition was perfect, hydration was good and I was holding 250 watts by the end of the 112 miles.  I know how I have to ride Arizona, and am confident that I can bring it home.  My test was all done on the computrainer...so I now have 3 rides of 100+ miles on the computrainer in the last 3 weeks and prior to that 2 rides outdoors that were 100+ not to mention the great number of 70-80+ mile rides.  Yep I'm ready!  Back to Saturday...my goal time was somewhere around 5:00-5:05, but in the back of my mind I was hoping for sub 5...as the ride went on that sub 5 was looking more and more like a reality.  I ended up riding 112 in 4:56.  That was a huge confidence boost for me knowing that I can go sub-5 and feel good doing it.

Saturday was also computrainer at Endure It!  The set was as follows:

Warm Up: 15 minutes

• 3’ Easy
Main Set: 70 minutes
• 10’ @ 70%
• 1’ @ 80% - Cadence 50-60
• 9’ @ 75%
• 2’ @ 80% - Cadence 50-60
• 8’ @ 80%
• 3’ @ 80% - Cadence 50-60
• 7’ @ 85%
• 4’ @ 80% - Cadence 50-60
• 6’ @ 80%
• 3’ @ 80% - Cadence 50-60
• 7’ @ 75%
• 2’ @ 80% - Cadence 50-60
• 8’ @ 70%
Cool Down

It's officially "taper" time for me.  What that means for me is that I'm still going to train...just not with as much volume or intensity.  I plan on getting quite a few sessions in, just short in duration...basically just to stay sharp.  I'm not going to gain any fitness in this next 13 days, but I will gain confidence.  I know what I'm capable of and am just aiming for the best race I can have on November 21st.  Definitely looking forward to it!!!!

No comments: