Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ironman Arizona Race Report

It's a full week after the race, and the pain is gone.  Well, the pain was gone early on in the process when I was lucky enough to get a Kona slot.  My build up to this race was better than my previous two Ironman races, I had nothing holding me back, and was able to get the training in that I needed to get, when I needed to get it in!  Looking back I know that I need to run more, and be more effective with my run workouts.  Basically I need more structure.  My swimming always has structure, my cycling does as well, but when I go out for a run I just do that...run, usually with no plan in mind except for distance. 

Alright the race details...

Pre-Race: I slept well until about 1:45 a.m. when I had to go to the bathroom, after that I tried to sleep, but it just wasn't happening.  I eventually turned on my i-pod to try to lull me back to sleep...no luck.  I woke up for good at 4:45 a.m.  My mom was nice enough to make some breakfast for Chad and I, so after a few scrambled eggs, cinnamon raisin toast, banana, glass of orange juice, GU Roctane, and a bottle of GU Brew it was time to leave.  My mom dropped us off at the race site and then it was time to drop off bottles, check the bikes and chill.  The pre-race went relatively fast, and very smooth!

Swim: We got into the water at 6:45 and started to make our way to the start line to jockey for position.  On our way up there the pro's started, and the nerves were at an all time high!  I started about 3 rows of people back on the far left hand side.  This was the calmest Ironman swim I have been a part of!  Besides the typical feet bashing, I had no contact with anyone else really.  The water was brisk at 61 degrees, and really didn't phase me too much.  My goal for the swim was between 1:10 and 1:15...hoping for closer to 1:10.  The swim was one loop, and I did a good job of staying on course.  When I hit the turn around (a little less than half way as we had to swim past the swim start coming back to finish) I was right where I wanted to be time wise.  I found some feet to swim on for much of the race, and really kept things in control.  I found that it was easier at times to swim my own race than to draft off of people.  I knew what kind of effort I needed to swim, and when I was drafting I couldn't tell if I was going too easy.  I wish I could have found a draft which would have still put me at that effort I wanted to be at...but that didn't happen.  When things were all said and done the swim went really well and I came out of the water in 1:09.xx needless to say I was happy with this, seeing as it's my weakest point and it put me in a good place mentally right away!

T1: This was quite a distance to run, so I was in an all out sprint (in Wisconsin that might have been the difference).  The problem with being a slow swimmer is that the tent was full.  I had to change on my own and pack my own stuff up...not ideal! 

Bike: I love to ride, and knew that I was going to make up the most time on the bike.  I needed to keep things in check early on though.  As I went out of town I was easily hitting my goal pace.  My first two loops (of three) I was dead on, and actually set up to ride a 4:45 bike split, then the third loop hit.  The wind was gradually getting stronger as the day went on, and really laps two and three is where the wind was bad.  Of course it never really felt like you had it at your back, and the way back into town was brutal.  I stayed on the pedals knowing that this is where I needed to put time into people.  I went from 51st out of the water to 4th off of the bike.  I did post the 2nd fastest bike split in my age group and the 5th fastest amateur bike split of the day with a 4:53.xx.

T2: I was cruising...that's all there is to say!

Run: I had plans of running fast, well that didn't quite happen.  Right away two guys in my age group went by me and I couldn't hold on.  As it turns out coming out of T2 I passed one of the guys and was in 3rd.  I decided to do what I could and to hold the fastest pace I could at the time hoping the others would blow up.  Well I ended up chasing 4th place for about 21 miles, never able to close the gap.  I know what I need to work on building up to CDA.  I ened up running a 3:35.xx marathon, not my best in an Ironman but given the wind on the course and going for it at the start of the run I can't be too upset.  I had to go for it and I did, I left it all out there.  Things were good for the first half of the marathon, but the wheels really came off on my last loop.  I would say my pacing was off from the start, but again...I went for it and that's what caught up to me.  Had I been more patient I don't know what would have happened.  I guess a different race tactic the next time around might be in order.

Overall I finished 5th in my age group with a time of 9:43.46.  It is nice to break that 10 hour barrier, but the wierd thing is that I'm not satisfied.  I know that I can execute a better race...also read I can run better.  Luckily for me though the 4th place finisher didn't take his Kona slot and it rolled down to me.  Talk about the longest 20 minutes of my life! 

The cool thing about finishing in the top 5 at an Ironman race is that awards go 5 deep.  We got to go to the awards ceremony, which was really cool.  I have actually taken this past week really easy, only working out twice, a 6 mile run on Thursday and an hour on the computrainer yesterday.  I'm not planning on anything all that structured with any intesity until the 1st of the year.  We are doing the December running challenge though, so if you're interested please email me and I will forward it on to you.  (ricklapinski@hotmail.com

Freakin Fast!!

The Swim Start

Guess I didn't need that much sunscreen

All done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Congratulations!! Awesome job!! Really happy for you going to Kona!