Friday, November 26, 2010

Ironman Arizona Fan Report

Going into Ironman Arizona I knew what I had wanted to accomplish.  Obviously I wanted to qualify for Kona, but at the same time you can't control the competition and it's a really long day where anything can happen.  My lead up to the race was solid, I had a lot of confidence in my bike, and felt pretty good about my run and swim.  If you want to know the details of the race I'll put up a race report in a couple of days.  If not, I get it!  But I do want to send out a big thank you to everyone that called, texted, emailed, you're support was amazing.  When I got done with the race my phone was on overload...almost as much as it was on Monday morning when it was official that I had a Kona slot.

I need to send a huge thank you to some special people who made the trip down to Arizona....I'll try to break them down into categories to spice it up a little:

Superfans (Mom and Uncle Jim) -  The "Superfans" category only has two members.  Both my Mom and her brother Jim have been at all three of my Ironman races.  You can count on Uncle Jim not seeing me go past him on the bike at least once during the day, and my Mom having to let him know 10 minutes later that I've been gone for a while.  Mom, you have to be the number 1 superfan!  Not only do you come to all of my races, but you face some nasty weather (and we all know you hate the cold) just to cheer me on.  It means so much to have you there!!!  Uncle Jim, sure you're retired, but having your calming pressence around is always nice, and you were right...the number three and Hawaii do go together!

Travel Rockstar Fan (Katie) - So we had the debate that my sister Katie is close to "Superfan" status due to the distance she's had to travel to come watch my races.  Last year she flew from Boston into Chicago, to drive to Madison to watch me at Ironman Wisconsin.  This year she flew from Boston to Phoenix to watch me at Ironman Arizona.  I'm giving you an exemption from Couer d' Alene in June so that you can come to Hawaii in October.  Katie was also the twisted mind behind the "See Rick..." t-shirts this year.  I mean "you're not cool unless you pee your pants" right Katie?

Training Partner/Idea Man (Chad) - So Chad had the bright idea last year for us to sign up for Ironman Arizona in 2010.  I'm pretty sure that I owe him big time...because without this brilliant idea I wouldn't be headed to Kona next year.  Chad had an amazing day and he just had a daughter a month ago, well Amy did...you get the point.  It's awesome to have a great training partner and friend to bounce ideas off of and for all of the support he gave me throughout this journey.  Chad believed the whole time that I could qualify, even when I might not have.  I couldn't ask for a better partner in crime!  Hey Chad and Amy, how about a trip to Hawaii next October?

The Rookie Fans (Brian, Matt, Cory Beth [did I spell that right], Kyle, Katie) - I warned them that being a fan at an Ironman was harder than actually racing...and with the look on Brian's face when we got back to the condo you could believe that!  Thank you so much for coming out everyone, you have no idea how nice it is to see a group of people you know cheering, ringing cowbells, and out there supporting you.  I know the weather wasn't the best, but thank you so much for sticking it out, it really means a lot!

The Ride By Fan (Scott) - There really weren't too many people out on the bike course, but I was lucky enough to have my buddy Scott out at the turn around.  Perfect timing of that show huh?

And to some special people who I know were glued to computers at home:

The Internet Stalking Crew (I'll try to break this one down into sub-categories)
  • Confused and Obsessed (Dad) - I say confused because he isn't the most computer savvy, and obsessed because I know he was sitting in front of that computer all day hitting refresh!  This is the same guy who would sit listening to Cory's baseball games when he was playing in New York...even if we knew Cory wouldn't pitch that night.  Guess what Dad...we get to go back to Hawaii!!!!
  • On Deck (Cory) - He has always shown a particular interest in my races, thanks Cory.  And sorry Mom but he says that he's going to do one of these when he can get back to benching 300 pounds and can dunk a basketball.  How does that fit into Ironman training?  Well if you're asking that question you obviously don't know Cory, and there really isn't enough time to explain on a blog...that would have to be a long conversation.  Let's just say his training is unique...but Cory you can't fake an Ironman!  Or can you...Chad??
  • The Miller Clan - Thank you for all of the calls before, during, and after the race!  I'm sure someone had to calm my Mom down and tell her that I would come out of the water at some point in time, and that I would be alright.
  • The Central Fan Club (Barber's, Otahal's, Wanner's, Varsbergs) - You have all been awesome, and always so encouraging with training that I can't say thank you enough.  I did think of you during my race and I was quite jealous...you were all having a great time together hanging out with some beverages, while I was in some major pain.  Glad I could provide the entertainment for the day.
  • Endure It - What an amazing group of people.  David those wheels are ridiculously fast!  Erik my bike worked perfectly, you're the man!!  And for all of the emails and texts thank you!!  What an incredible group of people, and everyone is so supportive, do you ever wonder why we pay money to put our bodies through these things?
My Awesome Sponsors
  • Lululemon - If you haven't checked out the store yet you really need to!!  Not only are the clothes by far the most comfortable that I have ever worn, the atmosphere is great inside of the store, and everyone is so caring and truly interested in what you're doing.
  • GU - A special thank you has to go out to the folks at GU Energy, without them I would not have been fueled through this training season as well as all of the races.  The Roctane was crucial during the race last week, thanks!!
  • CycleOps - The folks at CycleOps helped me to put up one of the fastest bike splits for the amatuers in Arizona.  I believe it was the 5th fastest split of the day, not too shabby, and with their continued help I know that I can crack off an even faster split next year.
  • Brooks Running - When you can train your butt off, and run over 1000 miles this year building up to this race without a single blister you know something is going well...thanks Brooks!!
  • Zensah - I rocked that compression gear like it was my job, and I was always ready for my next training session thanks to Zensah!
  • AXA Financial - Special thanks to Kyle Zake!  He has been with me for these past two years on the journey to qualify.
I'll get a race report up in a couple of days here.  I'm still trying to figure out why the explosion took place on the run like it did, but it didn't matter in the end because I'm going to Hawaii!  Kona 2011 has a nice ring to it, it still doesn't seem real!!

No comments: