Monday, March 8, 2010

Goals and Structure

I find that I work well when I am working towards a goal. I also work well on a schedule, and I have realized what is too much (my body has told me that), and I realize what is too little (my mind has helped me there). So I have a new plan that I'm going to try to follow. My base is very solid right now, so I'm happy with that. Coaching starts today, so I need to be more useful with the time that I have, and in saying that I have a pretty good idea of the schedule that I want to keep which will have a nice mix of intensity/volume/recovery.

The weather has been getting a bit warmer, which I'm pumped about! I have done all of my running in March so far in shorts. At times during my runs I have hit some pretty quick paces as well, and the nice thing is that I feel as if I can hold that pace for longer than what I am. Since it's March and I race for the first time in a little over 2 months it's time to start hitting up the speed work. Once a week should suffice. And also seeing as that first race is Galena some hill work should be in order as well. I will probably need to drive to get to the hills that I want to run, but I am thinking that what I might do is to just tack on some hill work at the end of some runs I do on Fridays.

I picked up the Vibram Five Fingers yesterday, so I'm going to have to start breaking my feet in slowly. Probably 10 minutes a day for 2 weeks, then 15 minutes for 2 weeks, and so on and so forth. They feel pretty cool, and I would probably rock them around town if I wasn't concerned that people may try to convince me to admit myself to the crazy ward. Oh well, most people already know I'm nuts...at least the people who read this know that.

No comments: