Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pain...And I Love It!

The key word for the day is PAIN! My legs are screaming! Computrainer this morning was freakin hard...the kind of black out, puke up your cereal, see stars, light-headed kind of pain that I had. It's wierd though, because I felt that pain through the first set and a half...and then I settled in. Here was the set:

15 minute warm up

2 x through the following with a 5 minute break in the middle:

10 x
30 seconds @ 150% (450 watts)
1 minute recovery

Cool Down

I had seen the workout yesterday, and for some reason on paper it didn't look that tough, must have been a mental lapse on my part I guess...those things can happen. I discovered that if I spun up with a higher cadence, and then kept that cadence high it was easier to keep the power high. It was more taxing on my heart and lungs, although they can handle it much better than my muscles can. It was great to have an effort like that today, so thanks Ron!

Yesterday I went out for a run when I got home. It was beautiful outside, sunny, 50's, dry...as good as it gets in March. So the dogs and I headed out, I felt great! We ended up running 7 miles at a 6:35 pace, and the cool thing is that I could have gone harder! This seemed easy. Funny thing though is that Roxy decided to jump up on the grass to run behind Winther at some point...well Winther was kicking up a steady spray of water...so Roxy was getting blasted in the face from the mud Winther was kicking up. I wish I would have had a camera on the run to take a picture of it. She also doesn't like to run that far, and it's no secret to me! At about the 5 mile mark she has had enough and starts to lag behind, where Winther decides that's time to push the pace...yea he's not right in the head, kind of like his owner. I also had an easy spin on the trainer last night, it was good to get the legs going, and lucky for me there was a hockey game on...not the Blackhawks but hockey none the less. I ran across this quote in one of the books I just finished, "He who suffers, remembers." I forget the book, but I like it...and thought of it this morning as I was suffering.

3 comments:

ryanhillard said...

I'll admit that I was feeling nice and lazy today, and even considering passing on the workout. Then I read your blog and hopped on the trainer. Dickhead.

Rick Lapinski said...

Glad I could help you get some motivation...you don't want Beert to beat you do you? He had some crazy riding last week, better catch up!

ryanhillard said...

Here's something you may enjoy:

http://andrewmccartney.blogspot.com/2010/03/10k-training-tips-from-nike-oregon.html

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be racing Beert this year. I'm in a slow build to next year - it's a long-term plan. :)