Thursday, April 15, 2010

Energy

Sorry for the double post today, but I'll make this one short. I headed out for my run and had aspirations of doing some speed work. As I started to warm up I went through the first mile faster than I had hoped. Because of that I figured this was going to be a good day. It wasn't a good day, not a bad day either...any time you can get out and do something active I think you can mark it up to a positive. As I made it about half way through my first interval I realized today was not the day to do speed work, I just didn't have the pop in my legs, and I quickly came to terms with that. As I continued on I began to think about the reasons why my speed just wasn't there. I think there are a few reasons that the speed wasn't there. I haven't fueled properly today, yes I love the pizza from whole foods but that's not what I should be eating to fuel me...especially if I want to have productive workouts. I hadn't had enough water throughout the day. As I thought more about it, the hydration and fuel weren't the only problems.

I have been wasting energy on things out of my control. Why am I wasting the energy? Good question, and I battled that question for much of the duration of my run today. If nothing positive is going to come out of an effort why am I putting that effort in? Trust me nothing positive could come out of the way I was spending my energy. This energy is an extremely valuable resource, and to accomplish my goals I'm going to need all of it that I have...not waste it. So from here out I'm going to make a better effort to worry about what I can control, basically myself, and let the rest go. If I'm dwelling on something that's wasting energy I'm going to think back to this and redirect myself.

Masters swimming tonight, and I'm bringing a new sense of energy with me.

No comments: