Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pump up the volume...

Well I had a huge week of training...except for swimming, but I have been hammering that pretty hard so it was nice to take advantage of the weather this week. Overall I ended up with more than 17 hours of training which included 11+ hours of riding, almost 43 miles running, and only 1 session in the pool. Instead of boring you with details of each day I'll point out the highlights starting with Tuesday...I don't want to go back to Monday night and blowing up in the water.

Tuesday: 1 workout...I decided to get up and run the loop at Waterfall Glen. After about a quarter mile I almost turned back and called it a day because I felt like crap. I stayed the course though hoping things would come around. What I've found is that things do come around if I stay with it long enough. It took me about 3.5 miles to start feeling good, and maybe I felt good because it was a down hill part of the loop...but I was feeling better none the less. I just kept feeling better and better and kept hammering away. I ended up finishing the loop in just over an hour. I have a new goal now...I will break an hour for the loop at Waterfall Glen by the end of the summer!

Wednesday: Huge day! It started with a computrainer class at Endure It followed by a brick run, which went well and I clipped along at a solid pace. Then it was time for a quick refuel before riding on my tri bike outdoors for the first time this year, followed by another brick run. After some yard work and more food it was time for my 3rd run of the day...all in all 3+ hours of riding and 13+ miles of running. Here was the computrainer workout:

6 minutes @ AT
2 minutes RI
5 minutes @ AT
2 minutes RI
4 minutes @ AT
2 minutes RI
3 minutes @ AT
1 minute RI
2 minutes @ AT
1 minute RI
1 minute @ AT
5 minutes easy spin
10 x 1 minute (30 seconds max; 30 seconds easy)

Thursday: This was another amazing day! I headed downtown and met up with a friend from college and we went and ran along the lakefront. I think I'm going to try to do this quite a bit this summer, as it's so much fun to run down there (there is no way I would ride!). Running along the lake was so peaceful and it's motivating to see so many other people out there working on their fitness as well. When I got home I met up with some buddies and we headed out for our first mountain bike ride at Palos this year. I forgot how much fun mountain biking is!!! It's hard but we had an absolute blast!

Friday: Another ride outside of around 2 hours or so which was followed by a 6+ mile brick run. I went out and rode with Guy Petruzelli, Jenny Garrison and Colin Riley who are all going to have amazing seasons this year. Guy and Jenny just got done racing at Powerman Alabama last weekend so they were spinning their legs out, and Colin is 2 weeks away from Collegiate Nationals, where he is going to do some damage!! I felt good riding but I got put in my place during this run! Let me tell you it was AMAZING!!! Riding I felt good and put in a solid effort, I hadn't planned on running hard off of the bike...but that changed quickly. I was running with Colin and we clicked off the first mile in 6:40...not bad...but that wouldn't last. He tightened the screws on me and buried me for the next two miles with a sub 5:40 pace. I wasn't sure how much farther we had so I told him to keep going at mile 3 and I was going to slow down. Well when you're running at around a 5:30 pace slowing down is all relative and I was still clicking off 6:20 miles. He was nice enough to loop back for me and we finished up our run together. I ended up running a 38:35 10k, which could be the fastest I have ever run for a 10k. Needless to say I was buried after this and it was great to get home relax and enjoy the day!

Saturday: Computrainer at Endure It started the day followed by an easy 5+ mile brick run. After yesterdays suffer fest I figured this was a smart idea. Here was the computrainer class that I taught though:

15 minute warm up
5 min @ 90%
2 min RI
5 min @ 90%
2 min RI
3 min @ AT
1 min RI
3 min @ AT
1 min RI
1 min @ 120%
1 min RI
1 min @ 120%
1 min RI
3 min @ AT
1 min RI
3 min @ AT
1 min RI
5 min @ 90%
2 min RI
5 min @ 90%
5 min easy spin
10 x 1 min (15 sec max effort; 45 sec easy)
Cool Down

Long run tomorrow morning, and I think Cory is going to join me for about half of it, which will be really nice...time for bed.

No comments: