Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Come on Legs & Reworking the Long Run

So my legs are still feeling a bit trashed from my race on Sunday.  I spun on my mountain bike with Chad yesterday for a little over an hour, I rode again this morning on the trainer for an hour, ran an "easy" 3 miles and rolled on my Grid from TP Therapy, and still my legs are sore.  I think I might just have to grit my teeth and fight through the pain.
I was thinking today on my run about how incredible some of these pro triathletes are.  One in particular is Terenzo Bozzone.  The guy has raced 3 half ironman's in 3 weeks and placed 2nd, 1st, and 1st.  Seriously?  What an incredible athlete!  Yes I know he is a professional and this is all he does, but still impressive none the less.  I have to think if he can do it "why not me?"  Not race 3 half ironmans in 3 weeks, but why not fight through the pain?  And really it's not pain, just discomfort and soreness.  It's nice when my "easy" 3 mile run was still well under a 7 minute pace.

I'm thinking I need to rethink my long runs on the weekend, especially seeing the pace I ran this past weekend.  So I'm going to need to rework some things, and will start to push the pace a bit.  I also need to make sure I'm running on some softer surfaces because the roads are going to wreck me for long runs.  So I'm going to be hitting up Waterfall Glen, the Prairie Path, Springbrook, Herrick Lake, and hopefully the bike path up by my parents as well.  At least I know I'll have a sherpa to ride water for me...thanks Mom I just volunteered you for that, so you might want to keep your Sunday mornings open.

Another beautiful day here in Chicago, get out and enjoy it!

No comments: