Friday, October 21, 2011

It Takes a Team...

One thing I've learned in this individual sport is that it truly does take a "team" to get you to the start line of an Ironman.  That team has to include family, friends, sponsors (of which mine rock!), mechanics, and sometimes complete strangers who motivate you.  The better your support team, in my opinion, the more successful and happy you can be racing.  Not going to lie I think I probably have the best support team out there!!  I mean to fly from all over the country to watch me race and see me maybe 6 times in 10 hours is pretty amazing.  And to make sure I have everything I need before and after the race, I feel super spoiled.  You all know who you are, so thank you!! 


The Hawaii Crew Post Race

I think that "support" team contains many differnt parts.  I've become better at surrounding myself with training partners who are going to hold me accountable and push me.  I do owe a lot of what I have accomplished to them.  If Chad hadn't said "let's do IMAZ" back in 2009 I wouldn't have gone to Hawaii this year. 


Sure during the race you're out there by yourself.  But you didn't get there by yourself, there were so many people who helped you along the way.  This coming season I'm definitely going to try to surround myself with some great athletes, but more importantly some great people.  More of Ironman is about the journey to the start line than the actual race.  Why spend that journey alone? 


No comments: