Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Look Back...

This morning as I was eating breakfast I came to the realization that I've done 5 Ironman races.  I still feel relatively new to the triathlon scene, and I do feel like I have an incredible drive to continue to improve.  I think this is a good time in the season to look back at where you started, where you are, and how you got there. 

It's crazy to think that the whole idea of doing a triathlon started when I was sitting in my parents basement in December of 2005 watching Ironman Hawaii on television.  I had an idea of what Ironman was, but that idea was limited to what I had seen on tv.  So the next day I signed up for the Chicago Triathlon...I didn't own a bike (besides my 8th grade graduation present of a mountain bike, which I still have), didn't know how to swim (I mean I could survive and swim...but not swim laps), and after playing 4 years of college soccer I swore I would never run again, and there was no way in hell I was going to wear a speedo or those tight bike shorts.  Is it weird that I am in cycling gear almost as much as "normal" clothes.  When sitting in the basement I remember thinking that I wanted to do that race, I wanted to go to Hawaii to do that race...even though I had no idea what "that" race was all about.

It's crazy to think of what I did for training then, versus what I do now, versus what I'm going to do leading into next season.  Triathlon has totally turned into a lifestyle, and a healthy one at that.  Sure I ask my a lot out of myself when I'm training for hours on end, but I really think it's your brain that needs to be trained and your body is far more capable than you give it credit for.  It's your brain that says to stop...not your body.

It's kind of funny to think back to times, and races...

My first half marathon...I think I went 1:37:xx I was exhausted...

Before Steelhead in 2007...First Half Ironman...Again Exhausted

I think I was in the water for like 44 minutes, ouch!

5:13...and I thought breaking 5 hours was nearly impossible.

Working on my first triathlon bike, it's not a single speed...

Winther checking me out before a swim at Ironman CDA in 2008

The Number 1 Superfan and I before my first Ironman

Heading out on the bike

How did I run in those shoes?  And with my race number there?  Haha

I did break 11 hours though in my first Ironman attempt, not too shabby.

The pictures from Ironman Wisconsin 2009 seem to be missing from...so sorry I don't have them...but I did do the race.

A new best swim time for me at IMAZ

Breaking 5 hours on the bike

Over an hour faster in 2 years

The pics from IMCDA 2011 seem to be missing too...

3/4 of the immediate Team Lapinski Pre-Race in Hawaii

A Dream Realized

Dad and I after the race

No comments: