Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kona Ramblings

A Race Report will come soon...until then here is a little post.  I can't believe it's all over.  As you might know Ironman consumes you...for months at a time...and Kona had consumed me even more than a typical Ironman.  Heading into this race I was scared.  I had heard horror stories, and I was competing against the best athletes in the world...was I really ready for this?

My preparation was far better than I have ever had leading up to an Ironman.  I won't say it was perfect because I know things that I could have done better.  But that's for my next race.  As you know race week was awesome, I'll get more pictures posted later.  Here are just a couple of right before the race:

The Race Rig Ready to Roll

A sweet backpack from Zoot

Bike Check-In  Definitely a bit Scary

Setting up the Finish Line Area

Sara and I after checking our bikes.


I will have to say that the post Ironman depression is in full effect right now.  My body feels totally fine, which I'm kind of mad about...could I have pushed harder?  I'm back home and really wishing I was still on the big island.  I had a great race!  As I said before I'll get a race report up in the next few days, I'm happy with what I was able to accomplish, but already know places that I can improve.  I suppose I shouldn't complain about a 9:34 Kona debut though huh?

So many people say they look forward to the off-season and for some down time, but right now I feel like there is something missing!  I know I need some down time, and it will make me a better athlete, but I want to get back into a routine.  For now it's time to chill and to do some unstructured types of work...mountain biking, trail running, and chilling  out with the dogs (which I'm really excited about!!).

Hopefully I'll get some pictures from people during the race (I have none on my camera).  Until then could someone figure out where I should try to qualify to get back to Hawaii next year?

No comments: