Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kona Race Report

I'm pretty sure I've completely digested the race by now...I've even gone through the "I could have pushed harder" phase after a race.  Could I have pushed harder?  Yep I'm sure I could have, but it doesn't mean I'm not happy with my performance.

Pre-Race - After my 4:00 a.m. alarm went off I decided to actually get out of bed and to eat some stealcut oats, a banana and a bottle of Zym Catapult.  I actually ate more than I usually do before a race.  At about 4:30 Cory, Katie, my Mom and I started the 1.5 mile walk to the pier.  Pretty uneventful, really didn't see too many other racers walking though.  After going through and getting body marked, dropping my stuff off in transition, double checking everything, pumping up tires and all of that fun stuff I met up with my family again for a bit.  I was starting to get nervous and decided to head back into transition to take a final look at everything before getting into the water.  The pro's went off at 6:30 a.m. and I was starting to get pretty relaxed.  Although the Hawaiian drums weren't helping the nerves all that much.  I chilled with some people from the Zoot Ultra Team before we all headed into the water.

Swim - 1:06:55
I wasn't sure what to expect from the swim.  I had heard it was much more brutal than any other Ironman.  My plan was to start to the left (away from the speed demon swimmers) and then to just try to hold on to feet as much as possible.  I was really hoping faster swimmers would just drag me along.  All I saw for the first 1.2 miles (to the turn around) were bubbles!  No fish, no scuba divers...just bubbles.  This wasn't a bad thing as I went through the half way point faster than I've ever gone through before.  We also had a current taking us out so I knew coming back in would be a bit slower.  On the way back I stayed on feet and didn't pick my head up until we were already in near the pier.  I swam hard for the last few hundred meters and finished up with my fastest Ironman swim split ever.  My SpeedZoot was awesome, so thanks guys!

T1 - 3:26
The tent was crowded, but I was just happy to be heading out onto my bike.  I was going to put the arm coolers on, but they were soaked...so not too easy to get on.  I said screw it and headed out to grab my bike.  This is definitely a place I feel I can cut a little bit of time.

Bike - 4:58:25
My goal on the bike was to ride smart.  I know I'm capable of a faster split than this, but would that have wrecked any chance I had at a decent run?  In town I tried to keep things in check, but as you can see I ended up going a little quick.  Once out on the Queen K I settled in to a comfortable pace and one that I knew was sustainable.  I didn't know how windy it would be up by Hawi so I just wanted to make sure I saved something for the climb up there.  During the ride there were freakin groups of 50-70 riders coming by me.  I literally sat up and asked a marshall what the heck I was supposed to do.  Unfortunately there were two marshalls by that group and they did nothing.  Not sure why, but I couldn't worry about it, just needed to do my ride.  I will say that I rode clean!  I was amazed at the amount of people who didn't, some of who are former pro's and rather prominent in the sport...I'll leave them nameless.  It's not wonder they can run like that off of the bike though...their work on the bike was rather limited!  I hit the turn around in Hawi and had caught and dropped many of the guys in the draft fest...as it turns out they sure can't ride when they are exposed to some climbing and wind.  Much of the way back to Kona there was a head wind.  As I was riding I was doing the math in my head (I mean what else is there to do right?) and I decided to sit up for the last 10-20 miles and to soft pedal in.  I knew I would break 5 hours and wanted to save a little for the run as that was what I was most worried about.  I'm happy with my ride and think my preparation in regards to that aspect of the race was perfect!!

T2 - 2:48
Uneventful...the tent wasn't as crowded.  I popped open the pepsi I had in that bag, through on my Zoot Race 3.0's and was off on my way.  I do think I could roll through a little faster here too.

Run - 3:23:15
I had a plan on this run, and early on I felt I was going a little too fast, but I decided to roll with it and to see how long I could go.  Thinking back now I probably should have pushed this beginning section a little bit more than I did.  The first 10 miles were a breeze.  It was all on Ali'i Drive which I had run and ridden all week and I had tons of fan support there.  At about mile 10 I felt something inside go a little funky.  I needed to find a portopotty...and fast.  To make a nasty story short and sweet, the 7 miles from the top of Palani until the start of the Energy Lab weren't pretty...run, stop to go to the bathroom...repeat 3 times.  Once I hit the Energy Lab I turned things back on.  I was feeling better and "empty" so to speak...not in terms of energy that is.  I was able to crack off the last 9 miles at a 7:23 pace.  Once I hit the turn around in the Energy Lab I felt awesome...it was the moment in the race where I had said...I made it, this is almost done!  Within the last mile I was super pumped...so much so that I ran my fastest mile of the day 6:39...if you have a 6:39 in you for the last mile you probably had more in the tank.  And I probably did, but I'm alright with my fastest Ironman run and in probably the toughest conditions I've faced for an Ironman run.  This run gave me a huge amount of confidence leading up to other Ironman runs now.  I know what I'm capable of and can't wait to give it another crack!

Overall - 9:34:49
This was a PR by about 9 minutes.  I went 9:43 in Arizona which I think is an easier course than Kona so I'm happy with this result.

Thank you to everyone who came out to Hawaii and who watched from all over the country.  Mom, Dad, Cory, Katie I couldn't have done it without you!  Aunt Rita and Uncle John...I knew I could cound on you for a Mai Tai after the race!  Chad, Amy, Hillard, Amanda thanks for the push that last mile, and for coming out to Hawaii.  The Zoot Crew and Endure It fans out all over the course, it was awesome to see people everywhere!!  Thank you everyone for all of the emails, texts, messages, voicemails I did listen/read all of them and hope you know I really do appreciate it!!! 

I'm not sure what's up next...well I have a pretty good idea, but I'll let it stew for a while.  In the meantime here are a few more pics from Kona.

Chrissie Wellington and Tom Lowe

Scott Rigsby (Double Leg Amputee) Incredible!!!!

Rinny, Chrissy, and Scott Rigsby

Crowie back at the Finish Line

Dave Orlowski & Crowie (Dave was one of the ORIGINAL Ironman Participants in 1978)


1 comment:

Jenny Davidson said...

Sounds great! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.