Monday, October 3, 2011

Kona - Day 1

Day 1 in Kona has been awesome!  We got in last night at about 7, and to our condo about 8:30 or so.  We were all starving so after walking into town and grabbing a quick bite it was off to bed.  I was hoping to sleep longer than I actually did.  I was wide awake at 3 a.m.  Cory was awake too, so at least I wasn't the only one this messed with.  Katie on the other hand was quite the opposite...we ended up waking her up while we were looking for towels.

Cory and I decided to hit up a run on Ali'i Drive right outside of our condo.  What an awesome morning to run!!

Cory lacing them up...

Amazing morning

Dude where are your sleeves?

Mid Run


Katie getting geared up for a little TRX action on the balcony...

Cory and Katie checking out the swim course

After our run it was time to head out to the swim course, I wasn't sure what to expect.  When we got there TYR was handing out goggles, so I ended up with 3 pairs.  They're sweet too...free stuff is always sweet!!  The swim was great, clear water, fish, coral...and I wasn't getting passed by people!

Dig Me Beach


After meeting up with Cory and Katie for a quick breakfast it was time to pick up my bike.  We were going to try to eat at Lava Java, but with the line out the door we decided otherwise.  We did see Norman Stadler and his German crew sitting there eating.  Talk about a baby face!!

David drove Sara and I out closer to Hawi so that we could ride up there, and then ride back.  Cory, Katie, and the rest of the Fix family then went to check out a black sand beach.  Pretty cool from what they said.  Sara and I were tossed around in the wind out near Hawi for a while, it was pretty crazy at times, but so worth doing.

Here is a video from the ride...


The rest of the day consisted of chillin at a secluded beach that David found, hitting up the grocery store and walking back to the condo.  It's about 6:30 p.m. here in Kona and there is no where else I would rather be right now.  The atmosphere is like no other I've ever experienced in triathlon!!  Amazing!!

3 comments:

CautiouslyAudacious said...

Wow! How exciting! Keep us posted this is great getting an insiders view. Good Luck!

Sarah Downey said...

Good luckkk!!!!!!! The whole class is glad to hear that everything is going we and we are all really excited for you. Kate misses you a lot too
ps bring me home a dolphin!

Sarah Downey said...

I'd also be okay with a sea turtle. I know it might be kind of hard to get a dophlin so sea turtle is awesome too